eliot & drew bike through india for 3 months, trying to inconspicuously do some good in the world.

___________________________

Sunday, January 17, 2010

heavy

headed over to Good Sports again today to pick up a Katadyn Exstream XR water bottle (to add to our iodine tablets, fire and purchased bottled water for H20 purification options) and the most cool pants i have ever purchase because they are, in fact, 3 KINDS of PANTS. 


1. Slacks
2. Button-up legs for Goucho-Style 
3. Zip-off legs for Shorts. 


I know, I know. I have crossed a threshold. The rubicon has been forded. There is no going back. I am officially an old man, and an easy target for attractive young ladies to giggle derisively at as he passes. I now own zip-off pants. sigh ...



On the other hand, they are super comfortable, way breathable, and I was never a very cool guy anyway. Meanwhile, Eliot went up to Houston / Austin this weekend for some family stuff and stopped over REI to pick up his own Katadyn bottle and some other stuff. Widdling down the purchase list (and my checking account ...). Got a few more big purchases (inoculations for me, insurance for both of us) and then we're off. 


The enormity of the trip is really starting to hit me. Having some tough talks with family and friends about what this means, how much it costs and the risks. This is going to be the hardest thing i've ever put my body and mind through: dealing with culture shock, a semi-permeable language barrier, inclement weather conditions and more physical activity than some people do in a lifetime is going to rough to say the least. I'm scared to death. 


But i'm also excited. This is exactly the kind of thing i've spent my whole life wanting to do.  From my first steps into this big ol' world i wanted to push my limits and see what's over that next hill, around that next bend. So, to my family and friends: Wave goodbye as I go, keep me in your thoughts and i'll see you when the road comes back this way. 


In the meantime, we'll be keeping you updated on these final 30 days-or-so. They'll be a big crunch at the end as we scramble to get everything lined up in time to shove off, but for now, keep checking in to hear about our wacky training-regime, ridiculous pants and personal dilemmas. 


A special Ghost-Runners howdy-do to our newest follower Vinod Karimatt! Welcome aboard! If you guys get a chance, go check out one of his many sites,  He's fond of the saying "Photography is the only language that can be understood anywhere in the world." Hey, from two film majors - we couldn't agree more. The picture above is from the website linked above. Go check out his photos! 

2 comments:

  1. ACKK.

    Not the zip off pants.

    Dude. We talked about this.

    Did you buy a Volvo, three kids and a lab while you were at it?

    Ok, I'm done. Sorry, that was really mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a nissan pathfinder two kids (one boy, one girl!) and a corgi.

    ummm, 21st century much?

    ReplyDelete